[I just sent the following letter to the editor to the LCF Outlook.]
I read John Ulfeldt's letter in the June 12 issue with dismay. John lives across the street from me, and so could not have missed the Russ Warner sign displayed prominently on our lawn during the primary election. I could not imagine what would lead him to allege that I support Russ because I want to pick his pockets. And when I asked him, neither could he.
I think we would all do well to remember during this upcoming political campaign season that at the end of the day we are all supposed to be on the same team. We are all Americans. We are all neighbors. This country has serious problems that need to be addressed. There's real work to be done, and it will be a lot easier to do if we think twice before we take pot-shots at each other. And this goes for my Democratic friends too.
I don't like taxes any more than anyone else. But I also look at the record of the last twenty years -- and the last eight in particular -- and it is far from clear to me that the Republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility. I support Russ Warner because over the past eight years David Dreier has voted to support the Bush administration over 90% of the time. The results speak for themselves.
Reasonable people may (and do) disagree. But please don't say that the only reason that I could possibly support Russ Warner is that I'm after your wallet. If taxes go up, it's going to be coming out of my wallet too. But there's work to be done, and someone has to pay for it. It can be us, or it can be our children. Russ Warner is ready to step up to the plate, and I'm ready to step up with him. Are you?
Monday, June 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment